Thursday, August 2, 2012

Explore Your Own Backyard With A Map

On days that I'm wanting the kids out and about exploring the yard. We make maps, this is a fun project to do with the children. We add things on the maps for them to try and find.  I tend to keep it about nature, flowers, rocks etc but sometimes add something from inside the house too. I will add bear tracks and draw them in the dirt just for fun. Also you can do this inside the house for a rainy day activity. Just a simple idea that might be fun for you too. 

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea, thank you!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! I did this when my boys were little and they loved it - we'd also do "treasure hunts" and I'd give them one clue that would lead them to another clue somewhere else in the house in winter, and somewhere outside in summer...things like "look under the place where the doggie takes naps" if they're readers or I'd just draw a picture of the doghouse before they learned. They still love it and will ask me to do it now on snow days! (And they're OLD 12 and 15 year olds.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I love your idea too!! Anything to keep them busy up here in the mountains. I'm loving doing things with them that are free and creative. Our son told me after that day. " This was a good day!" It shows that a little time in nature with our kids goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete